Print Page   |   Contact Us   |   Sign In   |   Register
Sign In

Forgot your password?

Haven't registered yet?


Thurgood Marshall's Coming! (Webcast)

Ethics & Bankruptcy

Attorney Ethics, Advertising and the Internet (Telephone)

Admissions FAQ

Q.  How do I get started?
A.   Applications

Q.  What are reasons that will cause delays in the processing of an Application?
A.  If you:  

  • Fail to provide telephone numbers and mailing addresses (including zip codes), where required;
  • Fail to answer any question or sub question;
  • Do not include the required fees or pay fees with an unacceptable form of payment;
  • Fail to include a valid certificate of good standing from the Supreme Court of the State(s) you are currently admitted.
    The certificate must be signed within 30 days of application;
  • Any of your questions are indecipherable;
  • Alter any of the language of the application, Affidavit or Authorization and Release;
  • Fail to sign any document requiring your signature and/or failed to have your signatures attested by a notary public;
  • Fail to provide narrative statements or attachments where required;
  • Fail to provide 2 completed finger print cards
Q.  What is a "valid" law license?
A.  A valid law license means an active law license.
Q.  If I do not take the Nebraska Bar Examination will my fees be refunded?
A.  See Refund Policy.
Q.  How do I withdraw my application if I do not take the Nebraska Bar Examination? 
A.  Mail, email  or fax your letter withdrawing from the exam. See Refund Policy
Q   Does Nebraska require the Multistate Professional Responsibility Examination (MPRE)? 
A.  Yes. You are required to receive a scaled score of 85 or better prior to application for the Nebraska Bar Examination. If you do not have a passing score at the time of application, you may still apply to sit for the Nebraska Bar Exam, but you are required to pay an additional $100.00 fee.  If you are applying for admission on Motion, and you are a Class 1A applicant, you also need to provide the Nebraska Bar Commissionwith your official score of 85 or higher.
Q. How do I have my UBE score transferred to another jurisdiction?
A. The Nebraska State Bar Commission does not complete the transfer requests. You must go to the National Conference of Bar Examiners website to transfer scores. Visit the National Conference of Bar Examiners- UBE Transcript Services page.

Q. How do I have my MBE score transferred to another jurisdiction?
A. The Nebraska State Bar Commission does not complete transfer requests. You must go to the National Conference of Bar Examiners website to transfer scores. Visit the National Conference of Bar Examiners- MBE Score Services page.

Q.  How do I submit a change of address? 
A.  Mail, email  or fax any address change to the Nebraska State Bar Commission. Address changes will not be accepted over the telephone.
Q. Why do I need to get fingerprinted?
A. The bar commission shall obtain a complete set of fingerprints from all bar applicants on a form designated by the commission as provided under Neb. Rev. Stat § 7-102(2). The commission will forward the fingerprints of all such applicants to the Nebraska State Patrol for a national criminal history record information check by the Identification Division of the Federal Bureau of Investigation. The Supreme Court may, at any time, order the commission to discontinue requesting, or to thereafter resume requesting, fingerprint record checks on all applicants that are fingerprinted pursuant to Neb. Rev. Stat. § 7-102(2).

Applicant Notification and record Challenge

Officials at the governmental institutions and other entities authorized to submit fingerprints and receive FBI identification records under this authority must notify the individuals fingerprinted that the fingerprints will be used to check the criminal history records of the FBI. The officials making the determination of suitability for licensing or employment shall provide the applicants the opportunity to complete, or challenge the accuracy of, the information contained in the FBI identification record. These officials also must advise the applicants that procedures for obtaining a change, correction, or updating of an FBI identification record are set forth in Title 28, C.F.R., § 16.34. Officials making such determinations should not deny the license or employment based on information in the record until the applicant has been afforded a reasonable time to correct or complete the record, or has declined to do so. (Title 42, U.S.C., § 14616, Article IV (c); Title 28, C.F.R., § 50.12 (b))
If the official department completing the livescan of your prints require that the applicant does not take possession of the completed prints. The Commission allows the official department to submit the prints on their behalf. If the department does not require that you leave the completed prints with them, it is permitted that you submit the completed scans as well. Please call ahead to schedule an appointment with the livescan office.
Q.  Who completes the Affidavits for Appicants Moral Character forms?
A.  Two citizens of good standing in your community that you have not already listed as a reference in the application.
Q. Who is ineligible to sign the affidavits for applicants moral character?
A. Family members and fellow applicants to the bar applying for the same examination.
Q.  How long does it take to complete the Admission by Motion process?
A.   Approximately 90 days.
Q. Does the Nebraska State Bar Commission have copies of prior exams? 
A.  No. However, you may go to the National Conference of Bar Examiners website and click the NCBE Online Store for access to previous bar exam questions and analyses.
Q.  How can I obtain a copy of my Application? 
A.  Submit a request by mail, email, fax or calling 402-475-7091.
Q. Do you have a late application option?
A. Yes. Within 30 days past the exam applications deadline you may submit your completed application by paying an additional $100.00 late application fee. (This only applies to exam applications)
Q.  How much are bar dues?
A.  Contact the Nebraska State Bar Association at (402) 475-7091, ext. 124.
Q. What are the telephone numbers for the Nebraska State Bar Association, Mandatory Continuing Legal Education, the Supreme Court Clerk’s office and the Counsel for Discipline? 
    • NSBA                                                                  
    • MCLE
    • Supreme Court Clerk's Office        
    • Counsel for Discipline                                      

    (402) 475-7091
    (402) 471-3731
    (402) 471-1040


Type of Fee Amount
Examination Applicant Fee $490.00
Examination Applicant Fee Without a Passing MPRE Score $590.00
Examination Laptop Fee: See Laptop Terms & Conditions for payment instruction. $150.00 (paid to Extegrity once approved to sit)
One-time re-application Examination Fee for the immediate next Exam $225.00
Late ExamApplication $100.00
Motion Application Fee $925.00
NCBE Online Application Fee (payable to NCBE when creating application) $25.00
Copy of Application Fee $20.00
MBE Hand score Request $25.00

Fee Explanations

Examination Fee: The $490.00 application fee is made payable by bank cashier’s check or money order to the Secretary, Nebraska State Bar Commission and must accompany your application.  The Nebraska State Bar Commission does not accept cash, personal or firm checks.  There will be an additional $25 fee payable to NCBE for the online application.
No MPRE Score: If your examination application does not include a passing MPRE score (85 or better), pay the Examination Application without a passing MPRE score.
Examination Laptop Fee:

Terms & Conditions (updated January 2013)


The registration period for applicants who wish to take the current Bar Examination using personal laptop computers opens approximately one month prior to the exam date.  Review the packet of information you receive from the Bar Commission for exact registration dates.


Motion Fee: Motion Fee: The required $925.00 must be paid in bank cashier’s check or money order only, made payable to the Secretary, Nebraska State Bar Commission. The Nebraska State Bar Commission does not accept cash, personal checks or firm checks.  There will be an additional $25 fee payable to NCBE for the onine application.

Filing Deadlines

Nebraska Bar Examination Filing Deadlines (The two day exam begins on the last Tuesday of each month indicated below) :

Exam Date:                                     File No Earlier Than:                                  Filing Deadling for Examination:

  • February                             September 1                                               November 1
  • July                                      February 1                                                   April 1

Upcoming Examination Dates: 

  • February 25-26, 2014
  • July 29-30, 2014
  • February 24-25, 2015
  • July 28-29, 2015

Refund Policy 


  1. If an applicant has registered for the Bar Examination and withdraws in writing at least 30 days prior to the examination, the portion of the fee charged for the MPT, MBE and MEE may be refunded.
  2. If the required 30 day notice has been given prior to the date set for the examination, a request can be made in writing to the Nebraska State Bar Commission to allow fees paid to be held over to the next available Bar Examination. If the Commission approves fees to be held over, a new application, along with new finger print cards are necessary for re-application.
  3. If an applicant has registered for the Bar Examination and fails to appear, no refund available.


  1. No refund available


Nebraska State Bar Association, 635 S. 14th St., Suite 200, Lincoln, NE 68508
(402) 475-7091; Toll Free (800) 927-0117; FAX (402) 475-7098